Be the change you want to see in the world. ~ Ghandi

Friday, May 4, 2012

"I am taking this layoff as an opportunity to travel to Peru"


Emily Sorman, LPN will be traveling to Cusco, Peru with the organization A Broader View. There, she will be working in a small community clinic or hospital providing basic medical care. Most indigenous people, especially the children, lack medial attention. These clinics provide necessary health care including dental check ups and immunizations free of charge.
In her own words,"I am excited to be submerged in another culture where I am
not completely comfortable. I want to understand what it is like for those who don't have access to the resources we have in The United States. I want to learn and brush up on my Spanish skills. Most importantly, I want to help others who are in need. This is my life's passion, and it is why I became a nurse. I am looking forward to applying to an LPN to RN program in the fall. Many require volunteer health care experience. I can't think of a better or more unique way to get this experience."


Emily feels fortunate to have worked for Swedish Visiting Nurse Services as a Home Health Nurse. Due to financial constraints, the company closed its doors April 27, 2012. This job meant the world to her, but she refused to let it get her down. "I am taking this layoff as an opportunity to travel to Peru and while help provide medical care in a clinic. I am grateful for this scholarship, and look forward to sharing my experience with others."


Emily Sorman graduated from nursing school in her home state of Minnesota in 2009, then worked in Hawaii for a year and a half. She moved to Seattle in 2010, and now considers it home. She will be applying for LPN to RN programs this summer. Emily volunteers regularly at my local food bank. She has also volunteered through One Brick at various events for local community and non-profit organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment