Be the change you want to see in the world. ~ Ghandi

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"I Expect to Receive So Much More Than I Ever Could Have Given"

Emily Davis, RN will be traveling with the organization MEDICO to  Honduras and working with a medical team that sets up medical clinics in remote villages to treat the local people.  Emily's team will be gone Saturday April 14 - Saturday, April 21. Emily also just returned from a trip to Haiti with a different organization. In Emily's scholarship application, Letter of Intent , she expressed: "I expect I will fall in love with two new countries, their people, and cultures.  I expect I will be exhausted, physically and emotionally, yet feel that I received so much more than I ever could have given.  I expect that these will not be the last of my volunteering for these organizations and countries.  I very much look forward to sharing my experiences with family, friends, and coworkers and encourage them to volunteer as well. I can only hope that I am able to have an impact in these two countries and for all the people that I will help provide health care to.  I know I will be impacted for life and won't forget a moment of either mission. Personally, I will be impacted by all the people I will meet along the way, especially the children.  There's just something special and meaningful about meeting people from other countries that I would have never have met otherwise without having participated on these missions.  I'm sure I will be impacted professionally by learning how to provide nursing care without all the modern day conveniences of a large teaching hospital while being out of my comfort zone."


Emily has known since she was thirteen that she wanted to be a nurse.  It's now been almost 10 years since her dream came true.  After graduating from the College of Mount St. Joseph in Cincinnati, OH with her BSN, Emily has spent her entire nursing care in pediatrics but in very different avenues.  She spent almost eight years working in a pediatric intensive care unit and the past four summers working at a camp for children with terminal, life-threatening, and/or chronic illnesses.  Volunteering has always been such a huge part of Emily's life.  Providing international nursing care has been on her "bucket list" for some time and now she's able to combine her love of nursing and her desire to travel together to help those in need.  Emily has thus far volunteered in the USA, Ecuador, Haiti, and Honduras.  Emily is excited to see what the future has in store for her and her nursing career.



No comments:

Post a Comment